Saturday, February 15, 2014

Not Just A Lady, But God's Lady


I taught a message in June 2013 by the name of this same title. My husband preaches messages through the form of conference calls and did a series on the family. I did a portion talking specifically to the women. I really enjoyed this not because of what I was talking about or the fact that I got to share something, but because of the studying that went into it. I had never studied like that before and it encouraged me to continue studying the Bible in depth rather than seeking out one scripture to fit into whatever it may be that I’m going through at that time. I learned so much, and I was ready to learn more! Here are some of the things I learned:

Growing up, some of us girls are taught to be “ladies”. Sometimes we are not taught why, though. You will find that “why” is a frequent question for me.  Some little children are always asking “why?” and well, I didn’t quite grow out of that! But that’s a great thing because a lot of times, our problem is that we are not asking “why?”……… So, young girls are taught to be ladies and lady-like, but I want to share with you why and what it means to be God’s lady, a lady of righteousness. Let’s start with the little girl.

Little Girls

The very first thing I can think of that a little girl needs to even think about beginning a righteous life is a father. We talk about how important fathers are for boys, but they are just as important for girls. Basically, fathers are important and needed big time! But girls need their father’s validation. They need that “stamp of approval”. I can remember growing up and genially felt confident because of two reasons. One reason was because my dad was a hero to me and he told me how great I was (smart, pretty, responsible, etc.). When other kids tried to say bad things about me, it was nothing because I would always come back with, “Well my daddy said…” and that was all I needed. My dad would say it, and that was all the explanation I needed. He said I was smart, I studied more. He said I was pretty, no one could call me ugly. He said he liked how I was always reading a book, I read even more. Because he had a positive impact on my life and he held the family together and kept us in good health and safe, every good thing about me that he complimented, I grew in. He was doing his job as a father and shaped me to become a positive, well rounded woman. Ephesians 6:4 (ESV) says “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord”. Had my father not done his job as a father, I would have grown up in anger, trying to find myself, looking for validation in the wrong people or things, frustrated from trying to fill a hole that I wouldn’t even have known what was supposed to be there.

I mentioned that I was confident because of two reasons. The first was because of my dad and his validation. There was something else that he did that led to the second reason. At the end of Ephesians 6:4 it says, “…instruction of the Lord”. My father raised me and my brother with the fear of God. I was confident in myself because I had my father’s validation and I knew I was a child of God. From the time I was about 7 or 8 years old, I was saved and knew Christ as my Lord and Savior. I knew I belonged in the Kingdom of God and because He is great, I was great. I would let the other kids know that them being mean didn’t bother me because I had Jesus! I remember being in the lunch line in second grade and telling another kid that, and they left me alone! I had my father’s validation and my Heavenly Father’s validation. This is what our little girls need, their fathers and their fathers to teach them about their Heavenly Father. Deuteronomy 6:5-9 talks about loving God, following His commandments, and teaching them to our children. And He said to teach them “diligently” meaning teach it carefully, with importance and not just saying, “God is real, he created the world, and he died for our sins, the end”. You have to teach the word and the commandments as if you are teaching them to drive. You don’t just put your child in a car and say, “okay, drive!” No, we take it step by step, answer questions, have discussions, pray together, teach through example…which leads to the next part:

Role Models

We are to be role models for our children. Fathers and mothers, you are your little girl’s role model when it comes to following Christ (Ephesians 5:1). Mothers, you are your daughter’s role model when it comes to being a lady (1 Timothy 4:11-16). Whether you are doing right or doing wrong, people are watching, especially your children. Be a good role model for them. They will follow what you do more than what you say anyway. Keep your actions and attitudes in check so that you may make a positive impact not only in your children’s lives but even the other people you encounter every day. They are all watching. Do you like what they are seeing? Does God like what they are seeing? Think about it.

Continue reading this series in God’s Lady pt.2 (Growing Up and Having Standards) coming next week!

Feel free to leave a comment or your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment